DO YOU MOTHERFUCKERS EVEN KNOW WHAT MELON PAN IS?!
LIKE. CAN YOU COMPREHEND THE PERFECTION THAT IS MELON PAN?!
Ok: First off, for you fuckin casuals who have never heard of melon pan, it’s like this type of bread that’s sort of shaped like a melon.
[billy maes voice]: “BUT WAIT THERE’S FUCKING MORE”
Not only is the bread used a slightly sweater, softer milk bread, but the crust of the bread used is a fucking cookie crust. It’s literally a sugar cookie outerlayer covering the delicious soft sweetish bread innner layer. AND THERE’S SO MUCH YOU CAN DO WITH THAT. You can add chocolate chips or matcha to the cookie dough to change it up a little OR YOU CAN JUST EAT IT PLAIN AND EITHER WAY IT’S JUST SO GREAT.
So yeah, guys, today we gon’ make some mother fucking melon pan.
adapted from: x
Ingredients for Bread Dough-
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup water
- 2-1/3 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
*OPTIONAL: for Matcha Melon Pan add 1 tsp matcha powder to the bread dough
Ingredients for Cookie Dough-
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar (plus more for the top)
- 1 large egg, beaten, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
*OPTIONAL: For Matcha Melon Pan add 1/2 tsp of matcha powder to the cookie dough
*OPTIONAL: For Chocolate chip Melon Pan add 1/2 cup of mini dark chocolate chips to the cookie dough (or place them between the cookie dough and the bread dough if you like)
Procedure for Bread Dough-
- Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine. Once everything’s combined, add the water, egg and vanilla and mix until it’s sticky and moist and shit. If you think it needs more water, add a bit at a time, and if you think it needs more flour, you can add that too.
- Once it’s completely combined, place the dough on a flour’d surface, cover your hands in flour, and knead the dough for about 20-30 minutes, and then add the softened butter and knead until that’s fully incorporated.
- Place the dough in a greased up bowl and cove it with a towel. Let that shit rest for like 1 1/2 hours (or until it doubles) while you make the cookie dough.
Procedure for Cookie Dough-
- So now we gotta prepare the cookie dough. In a large bowl, whisk the butter until smooth and creamy and then mix in the sugar.
- Add the beaten egg little by little and mix well, then add the vanilla extract.
- Mix in the all purpose flour and baking powder (and matcha if you’re using it) and gradually add to the creamed mixture, mixing just until combined. Make sure NOT to knead the dough. THIS DOUGH DOES NOT KNEAD TO BE KNEADED (hah. get it? I wrote knead instead of need. hue. huehue. so funny.)
- Roll the cookie dough into a log, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While you’re waiting for dat cookie dough to harden a lil bit, cut the bread dough into approximately 16 pieces, then roll em up into balls and place them on a greased pan and cover it with a towel and let that shit sit there for like 15-20 minutes. Once it’s ready, you can flatten them a TEENY bit so that they’re less ballish.
- When the cookie doughs ready, take the log thing out of the fridge and cut them into approximately 16 cookie disk things.
- Roll each disk into a ball and then flatten it into a circle that’s big enough to cover almost all of the bread dough.
- If you’re using the chocolate chips, place them on the side that will be covering the dough, rather than the outer part, and press down so that they stick.
- Cover the bread dough with the cookie dough and cover almost all of the bread dough, leaving a bit of the bottom exposed.
- Using a rubber spatula, make little criss cross creases in the dough so that it looks kind of like a melon.
- Take about 40-45 to let the dough well up a bit more. I recommend putting that shit in a hot or warm place so that it has a better time heating up and stuff.
- During the time they’re taking to proof, preheat the oven to about 375 F.
- Take a plate and cover it with sugar, press the melon pan with the creased side into the sugar until it’s covered, then sprinkle off the exess sugar and place the prepared pan onto a greased baking sheet that’s big enough so that they don’t touch.
- Let the melon pans bake for about 20 minutes or until they’re browned slightly at the top.
- Enjoy that shit with some cute shoujo anime you sick weeaboo freak.
HOT DIDDLY DOO DA WE JUST MADE SOME MELON PAN.
HOW FUCKIN PSYCHED ARE YOU THAT YOU MADE ONE OF THE RADDEST PASTRIES ON THE FUCKIN BLOCK. YOU MUST FEEL SO FUCKIN FLY RIGHT NOW.
Well you’re not that fly, or rad or whatever, because let’s be real no one who’s cried real tears over moe trash shows could ever be that rad (I’m one of those people I’ll admit it. I cried like a lil bitch in the last episode of Yuru Yuri).
BUT HEY, AT LEAST YOU CAN PRETEND YOU’RE RAD WHILE YOU’RE MAKING THIS FAB RECIPE RIGHT?!
Alright kids. Enjoy your freakishly good cookie/bread hybrid as you wipe away tears from your keyboard because you were crying like a shitbaby over your kawaii animu waifu.
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I’d give up my wifi,
To spend time with you
Do yOU EVER JUST SEE A REALLY ATTRACTIVE PiCTURE OF YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER AND YOU JUST
me: hey im feeling sick today i cant come to skool
school office: why
me: im coming down w/ the dunk fever
school office: u are lying
school office: wow i am a bitch, take 3 weeks off
SUDDENLY REALIZES THAT DIRK GREW UP ALL ALONE
AND IN HIS LAND THERE ARE BUILDINGS EVERYWHERE
WHILE DAVE GREW UP IN THE MIDDLE OF A CITY
AND IN HIS LAND, HIS APARTMENT IS THE ONLY BUILDING AROUND
Okay cool but what does it mean.
IT MEANS THAT DIRK WAS PHYSICALLY ALONE BUT STILL FELT SURROUNDED BY HIS FRIENDS AND DAVE WAS SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE BUT STILL FELT ALONE